Download Team Manager Responsibilities (information and expectations for competitive team managers).
Thank you for volunteering for North Metro as a Team Manager! The Team Manager helps organize the team, supports the coach and works with others within NMSA as needed.
The Team Manager and the Coach should work together to decide who will handle each area below. Each team does it a bit differently; see what your coach would like to do.
- New managers and coaches must first complete the background check. To access it, create an account and log in to Affinity at http://minnesotayouthsoccer.sportsaffinity.com
- You will be required to upload a photo of yourself before accessing the background check.
- Player Photos - Once you have Affinity access, take a picture of each player, coach, assistant coach and yourself, upload the pictures into Affinity. The photo is a head shot from the shoulders up, no need for players to be in uniform, you only need a clear photo of the face. (Your coach and assistant coach may prefer to take and upload their own photo).
Use MYSA Affinity To:
- Find your game schedule
- Reschedule games
- Activate or de-activate players for each game to show absent players
- Print Game Day Rosters
- Add guest players / subs to your roster
Separate from MYSA Affinity is the MYSA website at http://www.mnyouthsoccer.org/. You may wish to become familiar with the info there.
To kick off managing your new team, you will need to:
- Maintain a list of contacts for each player.
- Collect all players’ availability to play in each game.
- Collect a medical waiver from each player. Forms are found on the NMSA website. Click Forms (very bottom of page near right side), then US Youth Soccer Medical Release Form. Do not collect copies of insurance cards as the form asks. Bring these completed forms with you to all games and practices.
- Sign up and organize picture night for your team, (if your team chooses to do pictures) NMSA will send the picture night date with instructions for signing up.
- Provide information on attending PACT to parents (spring season only), NMSA will provide the necessary information to share.
- Coordinate uniform ordering, NMSA will provide the information.
Work with coach to hold a parents’ meeting to kick things off (usually in fall & spring after team formation). This can be held at a practice or another time and place you like. A suggested agenda (feel free to improvise) is:
- Coaching philosophy (be on time, notify if you will not be there) – coach usually covers
- Expected training – coach usually covers
- Expected playing nights and practice schedules – coach usually covers
- Tournament schedules, indoor leagues - ask parents to bring their schedules to make sure you will have enough players, look at available tournaments– coach usually covers
- Team activities – coach or team manager
- Fundraising if desired – coach or team manager (Fundraising application would need to be completed – available on NMSA website under Forms)
- Uniform ordering –team manager
- Collect money if needed – team manager
- Collect medical waivers –team manager
- Take photos for player cards (only once per year is necessary) –team manager
Communicate regularly with your team and be sure parents have ongoing information on practices, games, tournament schedules, field directions, picture night and so forth. It’s up to you how you prefer to communicate, some suggestions:
- Send a weekly email reminder of the week’s coming events.
- Put the roster and schedule on Team Snap, Shutterfly, or a Team Outlook calendar.
- Know how to reach parents on short notice (such as field change or weather cancellation). Program home/cell numbers into your cell phone. Remind.com is one site that sends group texts easily. TeamSnap has alert functionality as well.
On Game Day
Bring a “Game Day Roster” printed from Affinity to each game. This is mandatory to have at each game, the referee MAY require seeing this.
It is best to have several people that can print this, check with your coach and assistant coach to be sure they also know how to print the roster.
- Activate or de-activate those playing in the game prior to printing Game Day Roster.
- You can print the Game Day Roster up to four days in advance of a game.
- Also ensure that you can find your team on Affinity’s mobile site on a phone or tablet at the game. The referee MAY require seeing this.The mobile Affinity is found at http://mnyouth.sportsaffinity.com/m/pass/index.aspx
- Bring players’ medical waivers with you to each game and practice. You do not need to do any more with these other than have on hand.
- The home team coach or team manager enters the score after each home game on Affinity’s mobile site or on the computer.
- Game scores are locked or confirmed when a referee enters a game report.
- Review your standings to ensure all your scores are entered and correct.
- U9/U10 teams: Do not enter any game scores, standings are not kept at these levels. Refs will enter the game score to show the game was played and then the scores will be deleted from Affinity to show 0-0.
Tournaments, winter training and indoor leagues
The team manager will sign up and coordinate these optional team events.
You can find tournaments here: http://www.thetournamentcenter.com/FindaTournament.aspx
- Complete registration (usually done online).
- Make payment and collect money from each player.
- Check-in for tournaments (usually at least one hour before your first tournament game)
- Bring tournament roster, medical releases and any other forms required for each tournament.
Team Account / Money
Each NMSA team will have a team account set up.
- All money must go through the NMSA team account.
- Collect payments from each player as needed. Have them make checks out to NMSA.
- Request payment from or send deposits to your NMSA team account by using the forms found on the NMSA website. Click Forms (very bottom of page near right side), then Check request or Deposit Request.
- You need to submit the money collected from parents to NMSA before a corresponding payment can be sent out.
- Some teams will collect a small “cushion” from parents to have in the team account for incidentals, training equipment, etc. This is up to you based on your needs and should be clearly communicated to the team on usage and handling of any remaining amount at the end of the year.
- Team accounts should be at a zero balance by the end of the summer season.
Understand the complaint process
Refer complaints, if any, first to coach, then to competitive director, then to coaching director, then to club president.
At the North Metro Website, click on Contact Us (very bottom of page on right side) to find contacts for:
Competitive director – Contact for general information, MYSA rules
Field director – for reschedules
Referee coordinator – for reschedules
Uniform coordinator – Order uniforms
Equipment director – Provides club issued equipment, including game ball, pinnies, cones
Risk manager – Contact for incidents or injuries
Your competitive director is available to help with any questions you may have!
Welcome and thanks again for volunteering for North Metro!